Do you have a love of music and social justice? Calliope Women’s Chorus is hiring an experienced artistic director to lead and grow our choir. Interested? Check out the position description below! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Calliope Women’s Chorus
Position Description for Music Director
Purpose: Calliope Women’s Chorus performs music by, for, and/or about women that celebrates diversity, promotes the healing of spirits, and advocates peace and social justice. Calliope welcomes all women to join us in singing with excellence and pride, while cherishing our roots and experiences in the lesbian community. The Artistic Director shall lead and support Calliope Women’s Chorus in the performance of its music.
Job Responsibilities: The Artistic Director provides leadership to Calliope Women’s Chorus in maintaining its goal of musical excellence by developing short and long term goals, facilitating learning music and improving choral and vocal skills, leading rehearsals, ensuring that music is accessible to all chorus members, assisting with memorization of music for performances, conducting musical auditions, coordinating the section leaders, and conducting the chorus in all concerts and performances.
- Collaborates with the music committee (or, in the absence of a committee, with the Board) to conduct auditions, facilitate the process of selecting music appropriate to the skill level of the chorus, secure original commissions and new arrangements in accordance with Calliope’s mission and organizational goals. Collaborates with the board to foster a strong choral community.
- Ensures successful production of concerts and community performances, including providing leadership in thematic and musical development of concert programs in collaboration with the Board and Calliope committees and chorus members.
- Fosters positive working relationships with the membership and Board of Directors, contributes to leadership of the organization through regular participation as ex-officio member in monthly Board meetings. Assists in strategic planning with the board and members of the chorus. Writes narrative as needed for concert projects, works with development staff to position grant focus, and helps to prepare grant budgets.
- In conjunction with the board president, represents Calliope in local, national, and international choir organizations such as GALA Choruses, Sister Singers Network, QMC, etc. and participates in outreach activities of the organization. Promotes and increases Calliope’s reputation and visibility in the community and among Calliope alumnae, friends of Calliope, and other funders.
- Participates in Calliope events such as retreats, occasional chorus training sessions and educational workshops for members. Participate in fundraisers assisting with performances at such.
- Identifies, coaches, and supervises the activities of Chorus section leaders, and supervises the Assistant Director/Accompanist. Communicates regularly with section leaders regarding vocal issues, repertoire to cover in upcoming sectionals and other musical needs.
- Leads effective and focused rehearsals that include warm-up, planned repertoire, discussion, and friendship circle in a timely manner. Helps plan rehearsal schedule to support artistic and performance goals.
- Leads by example to foster a welcoming environment that values inclusion, respect for others, collaborative spirit, and diversity of thought and experience.
Supervision and Evaluation: The Artistic Director is supervised by and accountable to Calliope’s Board of Directors. The Artistic Director will receive feedback and evaluation from the Board twice annually.
Commitment: Part-time, 8-12 hours per week.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music and 3-5 years of conducting experience or a Master’s Degree in Music with 3 years of conducting experience.
- Or equivalent conducting experience
- Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience.
- Interest in and commitment to embracing the mission the Chorus.
- Ability to offer strong leadership skills as well as to balance work within a team setting.
- Flexibility in working with a diverse group of volunteers and personalities.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, email, social media and internet.
- Please send a cover letter, resume, list of three references and a 15-minute recording of a rehearsal or performance that shows you conducting an ensemble.
- Materials can be sent to: Calliope Women’s Chorus, P.O. Box 4474, St. Paul, MN 55104 or email@example.com
- Applications will be reviewed starting July 17, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled.